Reality is a perception. Perceptions are not always based on facts, and are strongly influenced by illusions. Inquisitiveness is hence indispensable

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Appreciation and Irony

Today my mail box is bombarded with mails, all showering appreciation for some work I did last week. Am I happy? yes I am guilable. On the other hand, I am still trying to maintain the vulcanistic composure, I have quite a few good reasons too. After the toil of working for 5 years, this is the first time I am put in limelight! The unfortunate part is that, I did quite a few things in the past which would exceed the current 'achievement', if it is the right word. Most often, my peers and superiors would show their admiration, verbally and sincerely. Today it is different. Lets see how.

I am working for a client, who happens to be contractor who manages third party contractor. I am with one of the third party suppliers. There was an issue, which would affect the whole design framework. I wouldn't spell out the issue in the current post, thats not the point anyway. The proposal for that solved the problem without causing any major design changes. So our client and the actual authority were really impressed. This caused a cascade of mails. When you prepare a recipe, or shoot a nice picture, you would like knowledgable people to acknowledge it. People without the intimate understanding of nuances just follow the crowd. When you see someone buying a camera or tv, they go with the brand. These would seldom try new things, no matter how good they are and this has nothing to do with being acquainted with the product.

The cascade caused the senior management of our company, just jumped the bandwagon. Now, I know some really good tasks carried out by some of our team, I personally did some stuff which overshawdows the current task. The chance of not being able to give a solution was alway lurking around. The difference was, in the exposure I recieved this time. Thinking of all those old times, I just wonder at the ways persistance pays, when you least expect it. This political embargo I am carrying with me probably will get some mileage during my review meetings, but the baggage of my team members staring at me like they used to do when you top your class or play that crucial shot in a field game, is unwarranted.

I just get a feeling that things are overdone in real world, and have to remind myself that even olympians are forgotten

No comments:

Popular Posts

Labels

About Me

Well for a start, I dont' want to!. Yes I am reclusive, no I am not secretive; Candid? Yes; Aspergers? No :). My friends call me an enthusiast, my boss calls me purist, I call myself an explorer, to summarise; just an inquisitive child who didnt'learn to take things for granted. For the sake of living, I work as a S/W engineer. If you dont' know what it means, turn back right now.