Reality is a perception. Perceptions are not always based on facts, and are strongly influenced by illusions. Inquisitiveness is hence indispensable

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Ratatouille - Any one can cook!

Movies have always been an amusing ways of selling dreams. I have recently seen a magic lantern titled ratatouille. It is far from the Oscars, (probably will get one) definitely doesn’t' strain your tear glands nor stain your hankies. Ratatouille is a fascinating way of reminding ourselves the age old art of story telling. Think of the Red-Indian rituals, Neanderthal cave paintings and even beyond to the point where early humanoids were amusing themselves with the primitive usage of oral communication. Pixar and Disney have mastered this art. The art of story telling is no longer a ritual, I feel sorry for that. It lives thanks to corporate exploitation of childish dreams. Who said capitalism is evil :)


The story is about a rodent hero. The one who resembles more like R2D2 than Keanu reaves. The plot is simple. The hero fulfils his dream!. The dream of savouring food in Gusteaus, a french restaurant. The way the story unfolds brings some childhood memories out. Running around kitchen, doing a shelock holmes with the whole and sole intention of finding the hidden delicacies. Aah, good times weren’t' they.

The more reminiscent words I liked were those of the antagonist Anton Ego voiced by Peter O'tole. Ego relives Gusteau’s words 'Any one can cook'. He rephrases the finer nuance and articulately gives out his criticism during at the climax. Anton declares onerous in a tone that undermines Zen masters and Yoda; that a cook can come from any where and not the superficial interpretation given to the words.

The art of oration put together with some fantastic graphics is something one shouldn’t' miss. This is one fantastic package put forth for audience of all ages.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Labels

About Me

Well for a start, I dont' want to!. Yes I am reclusive, no I am not secretive; Candid? Yes; Aspergers? No :). My friends call me an enthusiast, my boss calls me purist, I call myself an explorer, to summarise; just an inquisitive child who didnt'learn to take things for granted. For the sake of living, I work as a S/W engineer. If you dont' know what it means, turn back right now.